- About the Initiative
- Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- View Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- Search Curricular Resources
- View Volumes of Curriculum Units from National Seminars
- Find Curriculum Units Written in Seminars Led by Yale Faculty
- Find Curriculum Units Written by Teachers in National Seminars
- Browse Curriculum Units Developed in Teachers Institutes
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
Rise and Bind: Substituting binders and flours in pancakesbyRobin Harris
This is an elementary fourth and fifth grade gifted and talented unit that can easily be adapted for upper elementary science classes. This unit addresses Next Generation Science Standards on Science and Engineering practices.
In this unit, students will learn about the chemical properties of wheat flour and eggs, a traditional binder in pancakes. Students will determine what other flours and binders can be substituted. Learning tasks will include experimenting with binding agents and making a pancake that includes an alternative flour and binder.
(Developed for Gifted and Talented, grades 4-6; recommended for Science, grades 4-8)