- About the Initiative
- Curricular Resources
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
Since 1985 a National Advisory Committee, composed of Americans distinguished in the fields of education, private philanthropy, and public policy, has assisted the Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute with the dissemination, evaluation, and development of its programs. The Committee provides a variety of perspectives that aid in examining what each constituency for Teachers Institutes would regard as the best evidence of their effectiveness.
As the Teachers Institute played a leading role in the national movement for university-school partnerships, the National Advisory Committee assisted in determining how it might make the most effective contribution to institutions and schools in other communities. The Committee has provided seminal advice on the permanent endowment of the Institute, on the results of the National Demonstration Project, and on the goals for the Yale National Initiative to strengthen teaching in public schools. Members are invited to serve, from time to time, by the President of Yale University. All individuals who have served on the Committee, and positions they have held during their service, are listed below.
List of All Members
- Gordon M. Ambach, Executive Director, Council of Chief State School Officers
- Alberta Arthurs, Director for Arts and Humanities, Rockefeller Foundation
- Carla Asher, Program Officer, DeWitt Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund
- Leon Botstein, President, Bard College
- Ernest L. Boyer, President, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching; Former U.S. Commissioner of Education
- William L. Bradley, President, Edward W. Hazen Foundation
- Donna V. Dunlop, Program Director, DeWitt Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund
- Richard Ekman, President of the Council of Independent Colleges; Former Vice President for Programs, Atlantic Philanthropic Service Company; Former Director, Division of Education Programs, National Endowment for the Humanities
- Mary Lee Fitzgerald, Program Director, DeWitt Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund
- Norman C. Francis, President, Xavier University of Louisiana
- Thomas Furtado, Corporate Ombudsman, United Technologies
- Fred M. Hechinger, Senior Advisor, Carnegie Corporation of New York; Former Education Editor of The New York Times
- I. Michael Heyman, Former Secretary of The Smithsonian Institution; Chancellor Emeritus, University of California, Berkeley
- Bonnie B. Himmelman, President, Sherman Fairchild Foundation
- Claire List, Vice President, Esther and Joseph Klingenstein Fund
- Owen M. Lopez, Executive Director, McCune Charitable Foundation
- Ilene Mack, Senior Program Officer, The William Randolph Hearst Foundations
- Edward J. Meade, Chief Program Officer, Division of Education and Research, Ford Foundation
- Fred A. Nelson, Program Officer for Youth, David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Jane Quinn, Program Director, DeWitt Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund
- Robert B. Schwartz, Professor of Practice, Emeritus, and Director of Administration, Planning and Social Policy Program, Harvard Graduate School of Education; Former Director of Achieve, Inc.; Former Program Director for Education, The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Theodore R. Sizer, Chair Emeritus, Coalition of Essential Schools, Brown University
- Donald M. Stewart, President and CEO of The Chicago Community Trust; Former President of The College Board
- David L. Warren, President, National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
- Glegg L. Watson, Vice President of Public and Urban Affairs, Xerox Corporation
Fifteenth Annual Conference
Public School Teachers Complete Program at Yale
Number 16 of the periodical On Common Ground
Search Curricular Resources written by teachers in National Seminars and Local Teachers Institute seminars.
View the Photo Gallery of Participants at Yale.
Explore the archive of News and Feature Stories.