- About the Initiative
- Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- View Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- Search Curricular Resources
- View Volumes of Curriculum Units from National Seminars
- Find Curriculum Units Written in Seminars Led by Yale Faculty
- Find Curriculum Units Written by Teachers in National Seminars
- Browse Curriculum Units Developed in Teachers Institutes
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
Percents in Real Life SituationsbyMoses B. Jackson
This unit, Percent in Real Life Situations, uses the concepts of percents to teach 9th grade students of the School District of Philadelphia how to solve word problems. It presents a template that can be used to translate percent word problems, in all forms, into mathematical sentences.
The unit is intended to be taught in four weeks with a focus on how to help students analyze open ended questions and Critical Response Problems (CRP) that are usually a component of regular Standardized State Tests. The template deals with a manipulation of the statement, "percent times whole equals part". Hopefully, math teachers will find this unit helpful as an added resource for their classrooms and lesson plans.
(Developed for Mathematics, grade 9; recommended for Mathematics and World Problems, grades 9-10)