- About the Initiative
- Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- View Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- Search Curricular Resources
- View Volumes of Curriculum Units from National Seminars
- Find Curriculum Units Written in Seminars Led by Yale Faculty
- Find Curriculum Units Written by Teachers in National Seminars
- Browse Curriculum Units Developed in Teachers Institutes
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
In this unit, students will explore popular Slam Poetry in English and Spanish from artists in New Haven as well as from around the country. Then they will look specifically at bilingual poetry which features English and Spanish within the same poem. Finally they will get an opportunity to write their own bilingual slam poetry and perform it in front on their peers. In the narrative portion of my unit I will discuss the history of Spoken Word Poetry and why teaching Spanish through poetry will be beneficial for the students as well as looking at select poems in English, Spanish, and Bilingual, and discussing why these in particular are good examples to use with students in Spanish class.
(Developed for Spanish I and II, grades 9-12, and Spanish III, grades 10-12; recommended for Spanish, all grades)