- About the Initiative
- Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- View Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- Search Curricular Resources
- View Volumes of Curriculum Units from National Seminars
- Find Curriculum Units Written in Seminars Led by Yale Faculty
- Find Curriculum Units Written by Teachers in National Seminars
- Browse Curriculum Units Developed in Teachers Institutes
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
This unit teaches addition and subtraction using the concepts of place value, with an intended audience of second-grade students. This unit could also be used with talented first-grade students that need additional challenges as well as with third-grade students who are still struggling with solving addition and subtraction problems. This unit emphasizes three main teaching strategies: conceptual, pictorial, and symbolic, modeled after the Singapore approach to mathematics. This unit emphasizes four steps, leading towards addition and subtraction of general two-digit numbers. These steps stress place value concepts and the understanding of a number according to its base-ten expansion. Within this unit, mathematical techniques are shared that will reach a wide variety of types of learners. The steps and strategies here crack the "place value code" allowing students to add and subtract with a deep understanding of the concepts involved.
(Developed for Mathematics, grade 2; recommended for Mathematics, grades 1-3)