- About the Initiative
- Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- View Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- Search Curricular Resources
- View Volumes of Curriculum Units from National Seminars
- Find Curriculum Units Written in Seminars Led by Yale Faculty
- Find Curriculum Units Written by Teachers in National Seminars
- Browse Curriculum Units Developed in Teachers Institutes
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
The objective of this unit is to implement what students already tend to gravitate towards for enjoyment, music videos, and use it as tool for developing a creative mindset and critical thinking skills. Music videos will be my 8th grade students’ first introduction to film studies. since music and short videos stand as great influence in their lives. Through the application of Mise-en-scène analysis, students will discover the intentions behind a director’s use of elements for aesthetics as well as to interest the audience. Together, we will explore a number of music videos to recognize and interpret the moods and tones created in the staging aspect of these audiovisuals. Students will also have the opportunity to apply what they have learned in a creative task, and experience the making of this form of art as well as the critical thinking mindset that comes with it.
(Developed for Visual Arts, grade 8; recommended for Visual Arts and Media Studies, Junior High and High School grades)