- About the Initiative
- View Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- Search Curricular Resources
- View Volumes of Curriculum Units from National Seminars
- Find Curriculum Units Written in Seminars Led by Yale Faculty
- Find Curriculum Units Written by Teachers in National Seminars
- Browse Curriculum Units Developed in Teachers Institutes
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
"Discovering Self Through Poetry" is a three part investigative unit for grades seven and eight. The goal for this unit is to develop students' self-esteem as students master global and local poetry skills. This unit should be incorporated in the teacher's lesson plans during an entire school year. The lessons in this unit will incorporate grammar, creative and formal writing, as well as oral speaking. The poems in this unit are divided under three thematic headings:
- - Who Am I? Discovering who I am through my heritage
- - Who Am I? Discovering who I am as an individual with emotions
- - Who Am I? Discovering my potential to achieve
As a culminating activity for this unit, each student will present a portfolio containing creative and formal writings and art samples.
(Developed for Language Arts, grades 7-8; recommended for English and Language Arts, grade 7, and English and Language Arts, grade 8)
Sixteenth Intensive Session
July 6-17, 2020
Public School Teachers Named Yale National Fellows
View New Topical Index of Curriculum Units.
Search Curricular Resources written by teachers in National Seminars and Local Teachers Institute seminars.
View the Photo Gallery of Participants at Yale.
Explore the archive of News and Feature Stories.