- About the Initiative
- Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- View Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- Search Curricular Resources
- View Volumes of Curriculum Units from National Seminars
- Find Curriculum Units Written in Seminars Led by Yale Faculty
- Find Curriculum Units Written by Teachers in National Seminars
- Browse Curriculum Units Developed in Teachers Institutes
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
For many second graders, the beginning of the year is a time for revisiting knowledge and skills learned in first grade. The summer months away from mathematics instruction along with little opportunity for practice and guidance sometimes means a loss of strong understanding of concepts. Addition and subtraction of numbers to 100 is a Common Core Standard for first-grade students, although many struggle with this fundamental concept even throughout second grade. This curriculum unit is designed to increase students' understanding of the number line as a tool to help them master two-digit addition and subtraction, improve their base-ten number sense and increase their fluency in mathematical operations.
(Developed for Mathematics, grade 2; recommended for Mathematics, grade 3)