- About the Initiative
- Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- View Topical Index of Curriculum Units
- Search Curricular Resources
- View Volumes of Curriculum Units from National Seminars
- Find Curriculum Units Written in Seminars Led by Yale Faculty
- Find Curriculum Units Written by Teachers in National Seminars
- Browse Curriculum Units Developed in Teachers Institutes
- On Common Ground
- League of Institutes
- Video Programs
Have a suggestion to improve this page?
To leave a general comment about our Web site, please click here
The Concealed StorybyLori C. Wiley
The "Concealed Story" curriculum unit has been created for sixth-grade struggling readers with a basic knowledge of poetry. In this unit, students will become familiar with the various types of literary devices and figurative language along with learning the background, types and proper form of sonnets. All the activities in this lesson were created for teaching sonnets with the overall goal leading to the students writing their own. Since figurative language and literary devices are taught in many grade levels, I have not included lessons for them; however, the unit does include poems that could be used to teach each device. While this unit was developed for a specific group of people, many of the activities can be adapted as needed.
(Developed for English Language Arts, grade 6; recommended for English Language Arts, grades 6-8)